Kanishtha Dhankar was born on Wednesday, 21 September 1988 (age 33 years; as of 2021) in Mumbai. Her zodiac sign is Virgo. She took birth in a naval base, and she belongs to Haryana. She is very close to her grandparents who live in a village in the Jhajjar district.
She has done her graduation with a degree of Bachelor of Commerce from the HR College of Commerce and Economics, Mumbai. She did her post-graduate diploma in advertising and public relations from HR College of Commerce, Mumbai. While Kanishtha was in college, she started modeling. When she told her parents about her interest in modeling, they told her to continue modeling but not let her grade get affected.
Height (approx.): 5′ 10″
Weight (approx.): 55 kg
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Body Measurements (approx.): 31-25-31
Parents & Siblings
Kanishtha`s father`s name is Raj Singh Dhankhar. He is a commodore in the Indian Navy. Her mother`s name is Kusum Malhan Dhankhar and she works as a school teacher.
She has one brother (the name of her brother is not known) and her sister`s name is Nika who is a writer.
Kanishtha is dating Edward Lalrempuia since 2017. He is a model.
Kanishtha made her debut in Bollywood in 2008 with the movie ‘Fashion’. She was one of the models in the film.
Kanishtha became Pantaloons Miss India in 2011.
She represented India in Miss World 2011 pageant that was held in London.
She shifted to New York in 2013 and participated in Mercedes Benz fashion week spring summer 2013. She has been featured in various magazines that include Vogue (2017), Elle (2016), Grazia (2018), Harpers Bazaar (2016), Marie Claire , Cosmopolitan and has also been on the cover of Elle (2016), Marie Claire, Grazia (2019), and Cosmopolitan.
She walked the ramp for Lakme Fashion Week, Wills India fashion week, Couture Week and many others.
- Food: Dal and rice with ghee
- Actor: Leonardo Di Caprio
- Film(s): Hollywood- Moulin Rouge (2001), Lord of the Ring trilogy (2001), Inception (2010), Bourne series 9202-2016), The shining (1980), Lost in translation (2003), Matrix (1999), The Devil Wears Prada (2006), The Beach (2000), Gladiator (2000), Troy (2004)
- Holiday Destination: Maldives
- Perfume: Coco Mademoiselle by Chanel
- Kanishtha`s eating habits include eating non-veg.
- She drinks alcohol on various occasions.
- She likes to travel a lot.
- She has an arrow tattoo inked on her left hand and a triangle tattoo on her right hand.
- Kanishtha is promoting sustainability, human rights and a clean yogic lifestyle on her social media platforms.
- She has a holistic and sustainable approach towards life and she desires to work in education, gender, sustainability and international development areas.
- She has been working for the welfare with Seoul International Women’s Association (SIWA Korea) and Eastern Social Welfare Society.
- In an interview, Kanishtha shared how she takes care of her hair and skin. She said,
When it comes to my hair I love fenugreek seeds and coconut oil. Warm the oil and throw in the seeds. Turn the heat off after the seeds start to crackle. I think it’s one of the best home remedies to keep your hair nourished. When it comes to my skin, I make a pack of yoghurt with honey and lemon”.
- She often uploads her videos on Instagram doing Yoga.
- Kanishtha has also been a muse for Sabyasachi.
- She believes that for becoming a model a good personality is required and it does not matter how a person looks.
- She discussed self-love and acceptance of body in an interview. Giving advice to young people, she said,
Never compare yourself to anyone else. You’re unique. It shouldn’t matter what the world thinks of your size; In fact, I don’t even know what the ‘perfect’ dress size should be! Talking from an insider’s perspective, don’t get fooled by everything you see on TV or in magazines. Keep it real. There’s a lot of Photoshop-ing happening that makes everyone appear more glamorous. It can do horrible things to your selfesteem. Do a little research and you’ll find that nobody’s perfect. Know it and own it.”
- In an interview, she talked about the difference between National and International modeling. She said that International modeling is more professional than Indian modelling. She added that people outside India take their work seriously.
- Kanishtha is a core follower of Buddhism. She tries to apply all its teaching to her life. She believes that whatever a person does comes back to them as it is.
- She shared her sadness about Bollywood actors pictures being printed on the magazine covers. She said in an interview,
Yes, I think it makes all of us sad because we aren’t given our place in the industry as you can see that we barely get one cover in a year. Also people who work in a magazine know that they have to pitch Bollywood actresses because they are beautiful women, they are influential and which is why they are on the cover. But I wish that the fashion industry grows further and be able to do what they need to.”
- On being asked in an interview if she will do an item song or not, she denied it. She said,
I don’t think I am open to doing item songs. If I do a Bollywood movie then it would be something that should have a message in it, like ‘3 Idiots’, ‘Guzaarish’. I want to do something where I can spread the message and make a difference.”